Hard disk failing

crazydiamond 12:08 26 Mar 03

Further to yesterdays post re XP running slowly, today on boot up I am getting a warning re imminent failure on my hard drive - when I pass this I am getting a blue screen telling me that a problem has been detected & Windows is shutting down to prevent damage - this blue screen also appears when I try safe mode, command prompt etc, meaning I can't get into windows at all. This gives me a new problem - I stupidly did not back up some important data files & emails - anybody know how to get into 'dos' on XP so I can get to these files? None of the boot disks I've got is recognising the C drive. Thanks.

barrie_g 12:31 26 Mar 03

simple answer there is no Dos in xp systems, someone else may have some suggestions as to how you can get at your files but you can forget about the dos route, sorry

Paranoid Android 13:30 26 Mar 03

You could try using the recovery console, booting from the windows CD.

Marvin.

crazydiamond 09:31 28 Mar 03

Problem solved - used recovery console & chkdsk/fixboot - had to work it out myself though, no indication from Mesh that I could do this. Looks like the HD is still on it's way out though. See 'Spitting mad with Mesh' in Consumerwatch for continuation of this story.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…