Hard disk errors

johnlecarre 07:31 03 Sep 05

My laptop hard disk has some media errors so I am trying to Ghost it on to a new disk but Ghost fails after about 45 mins saying it cannot read the data from this section of the disk - catch 22!
Is there any way around this? Any utility that will repair the disk?
Any advice gratefully received, thanks.

AndySD 08:14 03 Sep 05

First back off all your important data... My Documents outlook (or express) Favorites etc.

Now use My Computer and Right Click on the C Drive choose Properties then Tools then Error Checking and it will say check on Next boot click OK and reboot.

DieSse 10:26 03 Sep 05

Instead f imaging - which, as you say won't work - first copy off all your data (documents, emails, address books, favourites, settings (write these down as a last resort), etc - by simple copying. Your data is what you can't replace - at the end of the day the software can always be replaced.

I would strongly urge you to do that before you attempt any repairs - which may make matters worse

DieSse 10:27 03 Sep 05

PS - just to reinforce what AndySD said!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…