Hard disk errors

Oldrocker 12:43 24 Jan 04

A freind has a Tiny computer, running Windows ME.At present, when starting, it comes up with the Scandisk screen, trying to do a thorough scan.It constantly freezes, and even after a system restore still does the same.I am thinking that the HD itself is no good.Any idea's ???

LastChip 12:57 24 Jan 04

Run a memory checker such as click here and see if the memory is OK.

It may still be a hard drive problem, but it's better to check the memory first, as replacing a hard drive unnecessarily is an expensive option.

If you have a spare (known good) ribbon cable, you could try changing that as well. While your inside, make sure all connections are secure.

Also, make sure the BIOS is up to date. I had a machine once that caused no end of problems with freezing, and a BIOS flash solved them. But proceed with caution on that. Not to be taken light heartedly. BIOS flashes incorrectly done, can trash the motherboard.

gold 47 13:51 24 Jan 04

Try scandisk in safe mode,and don't go above 512mb
of ram better togo lower.

Oldrocker 15:45 24 Jan 04

Tried in safe mode, but again just froze up.HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

LastChip 16:06 24 Jan 04

If your having problems just scanning the drive, try scanning independently of the operating system.

If you click here you can download this utility, which will boot the PC from a floppy and there is amongst many other options, a scandisk facility.

If you know the manufacturer of the drive, you may also find dagnostic software on their site.

Glyn-252301 16:09 24 Jan 04

Go to the manufacturers of your hard drive's site and download a diagnostic program. Most makers provide that. Go into bios and ensure that "Smart drive" is enabled, then follow the instructions of the diagnostic program. Normally is a boot up disk as well.
Regards G.

Glyn-252301 16:11 24 Jan 04

I'm so slow on the keyboard. lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…