Hard disk erasing

wossie 22:46 20 Apr 07

I am thinking of selling my PC to a friend and have deleted everything personal I can find, and think of. I have run Cyberscrub Pro 3 from a PCA DVD. How good is this program. Also how good are the disk erasers Killdisk and Paragon disk wiper. What level do these programs work. Thanks.

Diversion 23:00 20 Apr 07

Hi
The word is that Killdisk leaves no traces of anything.

phono 23:01 20 Apr 07

Have you got that in writing from MI6 and the CIA? ;^)

Totally-braindead 23:08 20 Apr 07

What a silly question phono if he told you he'd have to kill you.
Seriously kill disk is meant to do what it says, destroy everything.
Personally if I sell on a PC to a friend I format the hard drive and reinstall windows and the motherboard drivers providing them with a blank PC with no trace of me.
Of course the secret service could still retrieve some of the info from the hard drive even though its formatted but I'm not that paranoid to think my friend could.
Formatting and reinstalling from scratch, assumming I have both the windows disk and the motherboard disk and the graphics card disk takes me about 2 - 3 hours but I have done this many times now.

Diversion 23:08 20 Apr 07

I personally use a program called Encase, it will find any personal files without having to delete the operating system.

phono 23:11 20 Apr 07

"What a silly question phono if he told you he'd have to kill you."

Nice one.

"Personally if I sell on a PC to a friend I format the hard drive and reinstall windows and the motherboard drivers providing them with a blank PC with no trace of me."

That would be my "line of attack" as well.

wossie 23:23 20 Apr 07

Alrighty guys, formatting and reinstalling doesn't delete all info and it can be retrieved with the right software, but the question is how good are these products. Thanks again.

Totally-braindead 23:31 20 Apr 07

wossie unless your friend is a computer hacker employed by the CIA he or she will not be able to retrieve info from it.
If you have info on it which is that sensitive then I suggest you remove the hard drive, replace it with a new one and smash the old one with a hammer.
Or keep it yourself, buy a hard drive enclosure for about £20 and convert it to an external hard drive. Very handy for backups everyone should have one.

Totally-braindead 23:36 20 Apr 07

Hard drive enclosures click here

phono 23:42 20 Apr 07

Unless you have something really serious to hide and the prospective purchaser is not a genuine friend I would suggest that, to me personally, a format and reinstall would be just fine.

If that does not placate your worries then use Killdisk and all the others mentioned, then format the HD and reinstall windows.

I still wouldn't guarantee either method as totally "bulletproof" if it comes to examination by data recovery or forensic experts though.

phono 23:44 20 Apr 07

You beat me to it. ;^)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now