Hard disk drive letter change

mr_kaliyuga 19:18 30 Aug 09

Still searching for an answer to this...

When my PC is restarted the hard drive (E) swops with CD drive (G) for no reason. I know how to manually reset it, but it's damned inconvenient!

I'm running XP. Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 30 Aug 09
  mr_kaliyuga 19:27 30 Aug 09

Yeah - I can redesignate the Drive letter bath to E each time I restart the PC, but why is it doing this in the first place & how can I stop it??!!!

rawprawn 19:30 30 Aug 09

Try this,Change E to something far away such as T

PC Bilbo 19:42 30 Aug 09

What is the complete HDD & Optical drive configuration on your pc? It's normal to have C as the system drive & D as the first optical drive.

In addition to the info Fruit Bat/\0/ has pointed you to, my observation is that should you be running XP you will may problems running repairs under system file checker (sfc) if files need replacing as Windows Registry is set to look in D drive by default.

mr_kaliyuga 19:57 30 Aug 09

Thanks....

My HDD is partitioned as C & D. My second HDD, which is by far the largest, is E drive. CD & DVD drives are (usually) F & G.

I am a little reluctant to redesignate HDD E because it also contains some program files and none of them will work! I will have to re-download these programs. That's what I am trying to avoid, but if it has to be done then I will.

Does this help any?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…