Hard Disk Drive Kaput?

Octoz 12:53 17 Feb 03

I am running a Tiny p111 550mhz with 256 ram.
17GB HDD. I originally had win98se installed. I recently installed win2000 prof on top of this and everything was fine.
Wishing to back the system up I tried to run Norton Ghost. This booted into DOS and gave an error message stating that I should type rbghost in order to reboot to windows. Nothing worked so I zapped the HD and tried to reinstall from system restore. Nothing worked, tried to boot from both 98 & 2000 CD nothing. Ended up buying new 40gb HDD and insyalling both OS's.
Is it likely that I will be able to install my old HDD and use it (or part of it) for back up?

Lú-tzé 14:13 17 Feb 03

Install the old hdd as a slave - use fdisk to format and partition it and see where you get to. You will need to get the correct switches on it to set it as slave - at the moment it is likely to be set as master.

click here for a good guide to using fdisk

Octoz 16:02 17 Feb 03

Lut-ze (apologies for not doing the accent thing)
many thanks for your help. Will go home and give it a whirl.

SmiffyRebel 16:46 17 Feb 03

You might find that the master boot record (mbr) for your Hard drive is corrupt if so you will have to repair this or Fdisk will not recognise your hard drive. To repair this you will need a repair tool on a boot floppy, I use a program called UBD but this is involved. As I have never used it on Windows there might be a mbr repair tool on the windows boot disk. be careful not to repair the wrong HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…