Hard disk drive failure imminent

esw 11:23 AM 02 Jul 13

Hi

When I start up my laptop I get the following message "Smart Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 1: Toshiba MK326 3GSX-(S7). WARNING-Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent. Press F1 to continue"

Is this something that needs fixing as a matter of urgency or can I carry on using my lap top for a while so long as I keep backing up important data. Also is this something that can be repaired or am I likely to need a new lap top? Thanks

esw 11:41 AM 02 Jul 13

Thanks for your replies-I have had the laptop for about 4 years.

Chronos the 2nd 11:45 AM 02 Jul 13

Here are a few programs to use to check on your HDD: Gizmos. But I would take it as read that your HDD is failing and you will need to do something about it sooner as opposed to later.

If you buy a new HDD now it might be possible to clone your existing drive and then just switch them over and all should be well. Failing that it will mean a clean install of Windows and everything esle, programs,updates ETC.

esw 15:40 PM 02 Jul 13

Thanks for all the replies-much appreciated. I will look into getting a new hard drive as soon as possible.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites