Hard Disk Data Recovery?

asw 11:22 16 Mar 03

Bad news is, my Armari workstation was fried by a power surge. Good news is, my hard drive still works. Question is; when I get a new system what's the best way to recover the data from the old hard drive. I was going to intall the old HD as a slave and access the data that way. Problems I need to consider are; the old system was running Win2000 and was password protected and the new system is running Win XP Pro. Anybody had this problem? Any advice would be more than welcome because, yes the power surge took place in between data back-ups! Additional comments on the best UPS to protect the news system would be welcome also (horses & stable doors I know, I know!).

DieSse 14:29 16 Mar 03

I thinbk you should put the old HD as a slave - then copy across data files as rewuired. I can't see why the password protection need become an issue - what exactly was password protected, anyway?

asw 14:43 16 Mar 03

It was access to the Win2k operating system that was password protected & therefore I suspected that access to the drive would be a problem, particularly as Win2K was set up on another system and different motherboard?

DieSse 16:15 16 Mar 03

No - I don't expect acess to the data files on the drive will be a problem. You won't need to start the OS on your old drive - merely access the data files with your XP system - I suspect you will not find any problem. But the only way to find out for sure is to try it - it'll only take a few minutes.

asw 10:29 17 Mar 03

Well it looks like we agree on the way to go. The new system arrives shortly if there's a problem I'll post another cry for help. Thanks.

mole44 10:57 17 Mar 03

go buy yourself a Belkin surge protector,and you`ll have (A)peace of mind,(B)the best surge protection,but best of all,(C) they insure your equipment for a surges etc that bypass there extension.£50 is piece of mind i use them there brilliant.and its garanteed for life if the protector blows whallah,they send you a new extension free of charge

DieSse 11:01 17 Mar 03

¿¿¿ ???

DieSse 11:02 17 Mar 03

Ah - I see - I reread the first post - I wondered where you were coming from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…