Hard Disk Corrupt

justinv 12:44 11 Mar 03

I defragged my IBM 40 GB 7200rpm HARD DRIVE and when i came back to check up on the computer which was in the morning as i left it defragging over night there was a screeching/clicking noise coming from the hard drive so i restarted my computer and it says hard disk read error please restart and i cant boot up into windows
Help would be appreciated please!

Gman 13:11 11 Mar 03

Sounds like your hard disk is physically damaged.

g0slp 13:18 11 Mar 03

I had a corrupt HDD last week, as per my post then. (Couldn't start PC, even in safe mode.

Running W98, by the way.

What I did was remove the HDD & put it into another PC, then put that into another machine running the same OS. I actually put it where the CD-ROM drive normally goes.

I then started the machine & ran a full Scandisk check/repair. I was able to replace the HDD afterwards in my own machine, & fortunately this had worked, & my PC is operational again. The HDD had suffered some damaged sections.

Even if this doesn't work to restore your HDD completely, you may be able to salvage any important data which you hadn't backed up......

Good luck
g0slp

g0slp 13:19 11 Mar 03

I had a corrupt HDD last week, as per my post then. (Couldn't start PC, even in safe mode.

Running W98, by the way.

What I did was remove the HDD & put it into another PC, then put that into another machine running the same OS. I actually put it where the CD-ROM drive normally goes.

I then started the machine & ran a full Scandisk check/repair. I was able to replace the HDD afterwards in my own machine, & fortunately this had worked, & my PC is operational again. The HDD had suffered some damaged sections.

Even if this doesn't work to restore your HDD completely, you may be able to salvage any important data which you hadn't backed up......

Good luck
g0slp

g0slp 13:20 11 Mar 03

Sent it twice. Finger trouble!

woodchip 13:25 11 Mar 03

I would say your drive as done a bunk. Typical IBM Drive Get a Seagate Barracuda

justinv 13:29 11 Mar 03

But i have had it since sep 2000 it has been running smoothly i decided to do a defrag because my computer was running slow so as i did that my hard disk is corrupt how does that work out then?

woodchip 13:38 11 Mar 03

You can try this Start with a Win98 floppy disc and at the A:\> prompt type FDISK/MBR it will rewrite the master boot record, this will not harm your files on the drive but may get it working

woodchip 13:39 11 Mar 03

PS the above should not be done with Windows XP only with Win 98 or WinME

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…