Hard Disk "clicks" and "pauses"

Diodorus Siculus 16:23 02 Nov 03

I have a fugitsu 40gb hdd as a slave to a Maxtor 60gb, running win 98(Lite) / win2k / XP home / Suse Linux 8.2 professional on various partitions. The slave is partioned a few times and holds my backups, paging files, photoshop scratch files. and a few other bits and pieces.

Every now and again it makes a slight clicking noise and the whole system pauses for maybe 5/6 seconds. This has only started in the last week or so. The Maxtor is about 14 months old; the fugitsu maybe a year more than that.

Any ideas as to cause or solution please?

Thanks, DS.

Forum Editor 16:28 02 Nov 03

ever overheated to your knowledge? The click and pause isn't a good sign, and if I were you I would think about replacing the drive as soon as possible.

fugitsu in my opinion tend to pack in after 12 months so your quite lucky it hasn't already

i'd recommend having two maxtors instead.

can get an 80gb maxtor at ebuyer for ?45

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 02 Nov 03

I have just taken out the hdd to blow (with compressed air) any dust off it and since doing that it has not caused any problem. It was warm, but not particularly so - at least no warmer than any other I have ever handled.

I don't know that it ever has overheated though.

I will have to have a look for a new hdd when finances are up to it I suppose - but for now it has nothing vital on it. I backup to CD-R automatically each evening.

Diodorus Siculus 16:36 02 Nov 03

[email protected] - thanks for the advice - I will have to get another then I suppose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…