Hard disk activity - but indexing service disabled

Granger 23:17 08 Jun 05

My hard disk keeps chugging away as if the indexing service was active. But in Computer Management, I've said "no" to include anything in the catalog. And I've gone into the properties of my external Maxtor and prevented the indexing service working on that too. And I've disabled the service completely anyway. Have I missed something?

XP Pro SP2 with Norton AV 2005 and MS Antispyware, all up to date.

Indigo 1 01:23 09 Jun 05

use a Trojan scanner.

I use this click here it's free to download and use for a trial period and updates itself automatically in that period, after the trial period you can still use it but you must update it manually.

Indigo 1 01:26 09 Jun 05

Forgot to mention, you can use Task Manager to check for suspicious activity, the Network tab will show any activity through your internnet connection.

Granger 19:17 09 Jun 05

Thanks for the help. I ran a full scan with ewido, and all it found was a few cookies. MS Antispyware also finds nothing. There's also no sign of unexpected activity on the Networking tab of Task Manager.

The activity only happens when the PC is idle, just like the indexing service would. Can you think of anything else I could try?

Granger 16:02 10 Jun 05

Any more ideas anyone? My HDD behaves as if the indexing service is running, but I disabled it. I don't want too much wear and tear on the disk, and I don't like the unidentified activity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…