Hard Disc/Motherboard question

Pumas 12:12 22 May 03

Does the age of your motherboard effect the size that you can format your hard disc to?

The reason that I am asking:
About two years ago I bought a 40GB hard disc for my computer. When I formatted it, it only formatted to about 32GB. I assumed that this was because I was using windows 98.

I have since upgraded to windows XP professional.

My 40GB hard disc is on the way out so I am planning to buy a 120GB replacement, but I heard somewhere that my motherboard could have limited the previous hard disc’s size, no windows 98.

Is this true? I don’t want to buy 120GB and only be able to use 32GB!

xania 12:49 22 May 03

It is true that some OS's limit the size of hard disks, but I don't think this is true of montherboards. In any case, you should be able to get software from the drive manuafacturer's web site to overcome all these limits.

xania 12:50 22 May 03

It is true that some OS's limit the size of hard disks, but I don't think this is true of motherboards. In any case, you should be able to get software from the drive manuafacturer's web site to overcome all these limits.

It is true that some OS's limit the size of hard disks, but I don't think this is true of motherboards. In any case, you should be able to get software from the drive manuafacturer's web site to overcome all these limits.

xania 12:51 22 May 03

stlucia 13:19 22 May 03

Here's the answer I got when I asked a similar question click here

Both the BIOS and the OS can impose size limits, but most of these can be overcome by software fixes (generally from the HDD manufacturers) and/or BIOS update.

Pumas 18:09 22 May 03

I think I'll just buy a new motherboard etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…