Hard Disck Clean Up

ColinScowenUK 08:00 29 Nov 05

I was recently checking my hard drive for deletable programs, to try and free up some space. I noticed a folder in the C: drive called I386. It seems to be related to WIndows, but I am not sure how.

Does anybody know what this is for?

It does not have any obvious UnInstall exe, neither does it appear in the Add / Remove programs section, so I am also curious how to remove it (if I should).

Also, I can use WIndows Explorer to show me the large files, but is there any way to find the large folders?

Hoping to have lots of free space soon.

Colin.

MAJ 08:16 29 Nov 05

The I386 folder contains all the files needed for Windows. If you delete that folder Windows will likely prompt you for the CD if it needs to install or replace a damaged file etc.

Devil Fish 08:19 29 Nov 05

I386 is system files would not recommend deleting it

interzone55 08:34 29 Nov 05

The i386 folder contains all the CAB (like zip) files needed to repair or reinstall Windows. If you get into trouble it's likely that the Tech Support droids at the company who supplied your PC may well ask you to access files in this folder.

The folder probably isn't more than about 400Mb, so if you're short of space you can just move the whole folder onto a CD, and then keep the CD in a safe place.

click here is an extension to Windows Explorer that shows the size of folders in the same way as file sizes are shown at the moment.

ColinScowenUK 09:40 29 Nov 05

Thanks for the help, I'll leave well alone. Also, thanks for the tip on the folder size extension.

Colin.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5