Hard disc size limitations

stanbar 16:07 01 Jun 03

In a fit of affluence I bought a 120Gb hard disc and this registers at start up as 123 Gb but when I go to Fdisk it only shows 55226Mbytes(Or there abouts)which I think is a tad short.
In the old days there used to be a limit of 8Mb and I was thinking there may be another limit.
Evenso can anyone suggest how I can get my lost Gbytes back so that I can partition the whole disk. Thank you.

^wave^ 16:12 01 Jun 03

what system and what mother board what proc

Piggy,Piggy 16:13 01 Jun 03

Bumpedy Bump

Rtus 16:14 01 Jun 03

Depends on the Bios of the motherboard in use ? however Most Hard drive sites offer drive overlay software which when used allow your bios to see the full drive size.Or you could partition it into 2 or more sections before you setup O/S on it use additional partitions for other O/s's or storage

DieSse 17:44 01 Jun 03

Check this general discussion click here

Also this specific fdisk problem http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B263044

Cut and paste then take out the space after //

I think you need to use the version of fdisk that comes with winME, which has fixed this problem.

DieSse 17:47 01 Jun 03

... or take the download offered on the page ...

stanbar 23:35 03 Jun 03

I managed to partition the disk with a third party program 'Paragon Partition Manager' it worked very well after I got used to usung it.
Many thanks to all thoise that helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…