hard disc size

chippy+ 17:32 17 Apr 07

hi i made an acronis image of a 20gb drive removed it and fitted an old 40gb drive i had then used the image for the 40gb drive but it shows up as 18.6gb on my computer but shows as 41.6gb on hddlife,it also shows in disc management as
disc 0 basic 38.28gb and (C)18.64gb and 19.64gb unallacated how can i fix this thanks Chippy

wee eddie 18:02 17 Apr 07

1 MB can be either 1000 bits or 1024 bits.

So if you use the 1000 calculation you get a few extra GBs on a drive. The Marketing men prefer 40GB to 38GB. That's all

chippy+ 18:07 17 Apr 07

hi wee eddie thanks for the reply the problem is the pc shows the disc as 20 gb instead of 40 which it is thanks again Chippy

wee eddie 18:16 17 Apr 07

click here

that does it better

click here

and that's even better

wee eddie 18:19 17 Apr 07

Sorry I misread your question

matofthemint 18:53 17 Apr 07

If you have a Dell (and there are others), an 80 GB disk might show as 67 GB as they have a programme in a hidden partition on many of their machince. The programme (MediaDirect in my case) can be removed but not the hidden partition. So, if you un-install the programme you are left with an empty and un-usable partition. And the partition does not show when the computer tells you the size of the disk.

I am Spartacus 18:53 17 Apr 07

Depending on how you use Acronis it can create an exact clone of the disk. In this case It's created a 20GB image.

If you right click on the unallocated space you'll be able to format it as another 20GB partition (I think, it's a while since I did one).

chippy+ 11:18 18 Apr 07

hi I am Spartacus you are quite correct i see that now it has created an image instead of a clone i tried to take a shortcut but it didn't
work i reformatted the whole disc and started from scratch thanks to you and others who tried to help we live and learn sorry about the delay in answering Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…