Hard Disc Not Recognised

The Paul 10:22 17 Dec 04

I have an old system which I am sorting out for my daughter. There were 2 HD in it at one time and the master has been removed by the original owner. I have set the jumper to relocate the original and only remaining HD as the master.

When I boot up now it tells me that it cannot find a HD drive. The ribbon is connected correctly and I can hear it whirring away but thats it.

Any thoughts folks. Cheers - Paul

woodchip 10:27 17 Dec 04

Yes you will have to go into BIOS and redetect the drive

The Paul 10:32 17 Dec 04

How do I do that please. I take it that I enter the boot sequence and detect it there. Am I in the right area,

woodchip 10:39 17 Dec 04

When the computer is booting up you have to press a key like Del. It should say on screen on what to press to enter setup. The instructions on how to navigate are on screen bottom right. these are Enter to open a page arrow keys to navigate and escape to close a page do not forget to save settings before you exit.

The Paul 11:01 17 Dec 04

I've entered the BIOS and all the possibilities are shown as NONE. I've entered the Primary IDE Master and it shows AUTO. I have saved settings and rebooted but still it wont detect the HD. The green light for the drive does glow but thats it.

There are 2 ribbons - does it matter which one is used to connect to the HD.

woodchip 11:13 17 Dec 04

No but try it on the other Ribbon or try other Plug on Ribbon. Don't forget if you have two drives on one ribbon to set one as Master and the other as Slave

The Paul 11:54 17 Dec 04

sorry - this has now gone from bad to worse. No matter what I do I cant get the HD recognised. Now the monitor wont show anything and system wont shut down.

As far as I can recall - all I have changed are the settings in the BIOS for the Primary IDE Master

woodchip 13:49 17 Dec 04

You need the Drive set to Master on IDE 1. then go into BIOS and detect or set the Primary Master to auto. You may have to try a different Ribbon cable. If it does not work there is something else amiss

Arnie 14:15 17 Dec 04

The Paul

With my limited knowledge, I would enter the Bios and set the hard drive to first boot as 0.
I would also make sure that the 40 or 80 way lead is pushed into IDE1 on the motherboard. If the lead has a blue connector, push in the blue end to IDE1. The piggy-backed connector in the lead should be farthest away from the IDE1 connected end.
My Bios is Phoenix-Award.

Arnie.

Arnie 14:21 17 Dec 04

Sorry The Paul. Read: First boot device floppy.

Second boot device (0)

Arnie.

spargo 17:50 17 Dec 04

The Paul

Do you know what is on this HD?

Try booting with a Win98 Bootup floppy then see if you can access the C drive from DOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…