Hard disc not detected

Kernel 17:07 25 Sep 05

I recently tried to install a hard disc as master in my computer with the old hard disc, which performed quite well with Windows ME on it, as slave. At first the computer recognised the new
(Samsung) disc but not the old (Western Digital) as slave. I tried moving them around and using them on their own but whatever I do the computer now states that no hard discs are installed and the BIOS will not detect them. The mobo is a Gigabyte 7DXE, I have tested and there is power to all supply plugs. Windows 98 and ME start up discs run to a point where they say that no hard disc is installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 25 Sep 05

Check you have not caused the IDE cable to become loose at the motherboard plug.

You cold also try to fit the old hard drive on to the secondary cable inplace of CD drive.

Pineman100 18:14 25 Sep 05

Also check that you haven't bent any of the pins on the IDE connections.

DieSse 18:20 25 Sep 05

Have you been switching off at the mains - or unplugging the mains - before changing over the IDE cable?

If not then you may have damaged the drives.

Otherwise the cable is the most likely problem - as above.

Also, you haven't taken the cable out completely and put it back wrongly have you? - it only works one particular way round.

woodchip 18:39 25 Sep 05

you should first check the jumpers on the drives, you would be better with both hard drives on one ribbon cable on idee1, optical drives on ide2 on other ribbon. the drives as got to have one as master other as slave check these jumpers as it will not see them if they are wrong. then go into bios and detect the drives the win me disc should be set as master so it loads as c drive. do not use cable select on the drives with a old computer

Kernel 19:51 25 Sep 05

Mant thanks, I did check the jumpers and did use separate ide cables and I think that I have always switched off before unplugging IDE cables but I will recheck tomorrow for bent pins. I assume that if the drives are damaged then a
new(er) drive should be ok?

Kernel 09:30 26 Sep 05

Problem solved - checked with new hard disc and everything responds fine - this means a 60gb hard disc to be binned! Many thanks to all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 26 Sep 05

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…