Hard Disc failed

derekmiles 15:30 13 Jul 10

I have a PC using a hard drive that has totally failed.(Win XP Pro.IE8.Asus M2V).
The Bios says it's not recognised.
Moved it to Slave with a good IDE as Master and got the same result.
Put the drive in my spare PC a Lenova as Master and the same result.
This disc is so important to me since it has all my medical records on it so can some one assist PLEASE.
I've heard of these folks click here and they say that they can solve the problem but I just don't know. PLEASE HELP

MAT ALAN 15:35 13 Jul 10

click here

some things to try first...

Pineman100 15:54 13 Jul 10

"...Put the drive in my spare PC a Lenova as Master and the same result."

Have you tried it as a slave in your spare PC (with a new data cable)? If there's any life left in the drive, this should at least enable you to copy off your data on to the C: drive.

Make sure you've set your BIOS to detect it. And if you do manage to get it recognised, don't delay in copying off your data.

john bunyan 16:28 13 Jul 10

Very sorry for you. My local shop charges about £45 ; Tech Guys about £99 for data recovery.
Almost every day someone loses data due to no back ups - no comfort to you but I dont know what it takes to get folk to back up their data.

john bunyan 16:30 13 Jul 10

Very sorry for you. My local shop charges about £45 ; Tech Guys about £99 for data recovery.
Almost every day someone loses data due to no back ups - no comfort to you but I dont know what it takes to get folk to back up their data.

john bunyan 16:42 13 Jul 10

Sorry for double post

derekmiles 06:23 14 Jul 10

My thanks to all of you and whilst I've studied Mat Alan's suggestion and still going through it, I will plough into the other suggestions during the day.

As a point of interest I said that the Bios didn't recognise when I meant to say that the drive was "Not Detected". At the time of the failure I was cloning to a new Sata backup and when it finished, it report no data transfered so I tried it again when I was informed to confirm my "Source" disc. That's when I found out that the drive was not being detected.
I'm one of those folks whose always backed up everything and even shared with a second PC.
On this occasion I've been caught out somehow, I admit that I do get a bit confused but that's because of my 80+years. I've been into PC's since the Sinclair days and always built them for myself and others. Ah! well! that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose !

derekmiles 11:05 14 Jul 10

Sorry for not staing the following; Win XP Pro, IE 8 MB is Asus M2V. Large mem and cpu and all that you would expect from a bloke whose not hard up ! Well I am at the very fag-end of life !!
Incidently, I wouldn't mind paying over the odds to get out of this mess.

I've now tried Mat A's suggestion and most of it dos'nt apply. I've done all the swapping over as Pineman 100 advised.

Something else too, this drive isn't spinning up but all my input voltages are correct ?

BIG Sigh zzzzzzzzz Sorry Vicar but BUGGER IT !

MAT ALAN 12:06 14 Jul 10

It may be that the drive is stuck, take it out and rest it just outside your case and while it is trying to spin tap it gently along the sides.
Weird as it may seem this has been tried and tested and does work...

lotvic 22:44 17 Jul 10

I gave one of mine a good slap with my hand when it wouldn't work. It did the trick long enough for me to copy the data off :)
Not recommended practice...

wee eddie 05:08 18 Jul 10

How about the "Deep Freeze" gambit.

Unfortunately, stories of it working are apocryphal. I have never actually met anyone who has tried it them-self.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac