Hard disc access problems

MikeH100 09:14 04 Sep 06

Whilst using a fairly new drive, I was suddenly presented with a dialogue box informing me that Go-back (the Roxio restoration programme)had prevented access to the hard drive because of software or hardware problems. The system (XP) just kept rebooting and would neither let me into "safe mode" or use/disable Go-back. When I did eventually disable it, matters were slightly worse, so I re-enabled it.
I've reconnected my old drive (removed two weeks ago) and connected the faulty one, first on the same data cable as a slave and then on the secondary IDE system, but still had problems, although I noticed that as I progressively tried all these rather desperate methods, I was getting further into windows each time. With the drive on the other IDE socket, I could get into windows via safe mode and actually reach the desktop (on the old disc, of course), but it only lasted about 20 seconds and didn't give me enough time to access my data "D" partition on the faulty disc.
Question 1 - What happened originally to the drive?
Question 2 - What is the best or only way to access that data partition. I'm using NTFS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 04 Sep 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…