Hard dirve seems to have wiped itself

tomhealy 19:28 29 Jun 03

My 120gb hard drive appears to have somehow wiped itself of anyhting on it.

It had about 20gb of data on it but now when I try to access it Windows XP tells me the drive has not been formatted.

Any ideas how i could recover the data?

woodchip 19:34 29 Jun 03

Get a boot disc from click here start computer with it you will have to go into setup as it starts and make the floppy drive as the first boot device and enable it. then at A:\> change the directory To C:\ then type dir/w which means one page at a time, when you press enter

User-312386 19:36 29 Jun 03

or can you boot from from cd-rom?

If you can, pop the XP disc in and use the recovery console/repair

Megatyte 20:33 29 Jun 03

How did you boot to Windows with an un-formatted drive, or is the drive in question a slave?

AH

tomhealy 22:17 29 Jun 03

it is a second drive

woodchip 22:22 29 Jun 03

Sounds like something as mucked the MBR up so it cannot read the drive it may be a boot virus

woodchip 22:24 29 Jun 03

If you can boot with the CD-ROM I am assuming you have WinXP start with CD and type "Fix/MBR"

Megatyte 22:25 29 Jun 03

Try a recovery utility such as DriveRescue. Not guaranteed but I've had success with it in the past.

AH

Megatyte 22:36 29 Jun 03

It's not his boot drive, it's a secondary drive(I assume storing data).

AH

Ping Pong 22:43 29 Jun 03

Try disconnecting you second hard drive and starting your computer. shut your system down and reconnect the slave. Reboot and you slave should be visible files and all. I have had this issue twice. Don't know why but the above sorted the issue.

tomhealy 19:02 30 Jun 03

Seems something might be up with the motherboard as i've only just noticed that the cd drives won't work.

If all 4 drives (2 hard drives, 1 dvd, 1 cd-rw) are connected, only the boot drive will show up correctly. If i disconnect the second hard drive the dvd shows up but the cdrw shows up as something like dxtdir instead of memorex 32maxx

Aaaargh!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…