hanging/freezing win XP pro

drums 13:18 09 Nov 09

Sorry for the big story, but I’m at the stage of scrapping this M/C. I’m not overly knowledgeable about PC’s so if you could keep any help at a level I can understand I’d be grateful.

My problem is that my PC is very slow and can freeze randomly or, whatever software is on screen the picture can shake up and down, again randomly, and I can’t get anymore than about 10 minutes without one or the other happening. Had it to the local PC store that built it, and they, like myself, ran stress tests and, again like myself, found nothing, so they say there’s nothing wrong but they did replace the M/B, but in normal use the above problems are there all the time.

My old M/C, an AMD Athlon 3200, ran all the same software faster and without any hang-ups, picture shaking or freezes.

My normal use is word processing; sorting family snaps, watching the odd video, I sometimes make flyers in MS Publisher, and writing drum scores.

My PC:
M/B: Asrock P45 Turbo Twins
CPU: Intel E8500
RAM: 1GBx2 Geil Black Dragon – PC 8500-1066Mhz.
Graphics: X/Vision 8600GT 512MB
HDD: 500GB Hitachi – SATA ll
DVD writer: Pioneer 215
Sound: Onboard
Thermaltake Matrix Case
Thermaltake 450W PSU.

Nothing over clocked.

For Protection I use AVG Free 9.0, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, Zonealarm and Defraggler and CCleaner, all are run regularly and all are up to date.

O/S: XP Pro, PC Store installed it twice and I’ve installed it once, no difference to performance.

Software:
Microsoft Office & Publisher
Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8
Serif PagePlus X3
Mozilla Firefox
DrumScriobh

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
gblack

kidsis 13:26 09 Nov 09

often the screen shaking can indicate problems with the video card driver, have you looked in device manager? That's all I can think of at the moment.

john bunyan 13:29 09 Nov 09

Try start,run then type in eventvwr, enter then look at application and see if there are any red or yellow warnings - may give a clue if there is a particular programme causing this.

Graphicool1 13:58 09 Nov 09

When you installed it did you install the latest mobo chipset drivers?

drums 14:09 09 Nov 09

This is from Event Viewer (System)

The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

The above error is being reported every few day’s, I’ve backed up my bits and pieces, not progs. What now replace the Harddisk ASAP?

This is from Event Viewer (Application)

click here, click here.

Hanging application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.5721.5145, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Hanging application WINWORD.EXE, version 11.0.8169.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

A provider, OffProv11, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS11, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

There are an awful lot of the following:
The description for Event ID ( 1904 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

I’ve no idea what the above means. Help!!

drums 14:12 09 Nov 09

There are no warnings in device manager

gblack5098

john bunyan 16:45 09 Nov 09

What I would do is to use Acronis True Image (If you have it) to clone your Disc to an external HD, Then buy and install a new HD and , using Acronis boot to the external HD and clone it to the new HD.
There may be others who will advise a simpler way of doing the above, but it looks like you need to replace your HD. Maybe without ATI you could copy all "My Documents" to an external HD, and do a clean reinstall on the new HD, If you have all the installation discs, but the XP update is a pain - not sure how to "slipstream" updates, again others will advise.

woodchip 16:58 09 Nov 09

To me it looks like a faulty Graphics card or Monitor. Most likely is the Card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…