Hanging Win XP Pro

jambolino 16:00 18 Jan 05

A friend of mine installed some drivers on his PC, unfortunately these caused problems so he decided to do a system restore.

During the restore process his son pressed the reset button on his PC, now his PC hangs just at the place in the boot sequence before the logon screen appears (Hour glass constantly displayed).Safe mode does not work.

I have not seen the PC, just been given a description of the fault.

How best can my friend sort his PC out without reloading XP?

Chezdez 16:05 18 Jan 05

try booting into safemode, see if that works

just tap F8 as the comp boots, and then select safe mode from the list

spikeychris 16:05 18 Jan 05

When you say safe mode will not work, has he tried hitting F8 whist the machine is booting? He could then select last known good config from the options.

BTW if it was a driver issue the XP allows you to roll them back.

In Control Panel, open System.

Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.

Expand a category (Standard floppy disk controller, for example), and then double-click a device.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

You are prompted to confirm that you want to overwrite the current driver. Click Yes

jambolino 16:28 18 Jan 05

My Friend can select safemode Using F8, computer hangs again straight after.

Chezdez 16:35 18 Jan 05

try taking the drive out, putting it in another system (as a slave) and then run scan disk on it, that should fine or fix any errors on the drive itself, then put it back in the original system, and try booting again

if that fails, it looks like a fresh reinstall i'm afraid......

spikeychris 17:29 18 Jan 05

Before a fresh installation is contemplated perform a repair installation. This will keep all the settings it had previously, he will however have to re-apply any updates.

click here

Chezdez 19:20 18 Jan 05

of course! well done chris :P

i completely forgot about repair, having never used..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…