Halo Graphics issues

crysta1s1ayer99 19:48 06 Jun 07

Hi all,
I have just installed Halo-Combat evolved on my relatively new PC, as soon as the game gets to the first menu, the screen flashes rapidly between fullscreen and a smaller screen occupying the top left of my monitor area. this continues itno the game and, as you can guess is quite irritating when trying to aim my plasma rifle.
I am running windows service pack 2 and i'm unsure of the specs of my graphics but all the dxdiag tests come back ok.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

wolfie3000 22:22 06 Jun 07

First thing is to fiond out your gfx card and if the drivers are upto date,

Also it might help to lower the settings in game.

crysta1s1ayer99 09:27 07 Jun 07

Is there a simple way of finding out my graphics card details without opening up my computer?
I know that it is motherboard based but I have no idea how much memory it has or anything

Thanks again...

keef66 15:20 08 Jun 07

if by motherboard based you mean it's onboard graphics I'm not surprised it won't run Halo. You'll need a reasonable separate graphics card.

Can you tell us the spec / make of the pc, and preferably what motherboard it has?

Start / programs / accessories / system tools / system info might tell you something about it.

gudgulf 16:28 08 Jun 07

Make sure you have the latest patches for the game.....loads on click here

And try this fix for SP2 click here

crysta1s1ayer99 18:44 08 Jun 07

Ok, Here goes. my display adapter is a Via/S3G unichrome pro IG3 with 64 MGB Ram, 1280 x 1024 x 60 resolution, and 32 bits/pixel.
My motherboard info doesn't seem available.
I'll try the patches and updating my drivers, then I'll post back. Once again... Many thanks for all your time and help

gudgulf 19:00 08 Jun 07

If you have a VIA/S3G onboard graphics adapter then that changes things.......Have a look at click here and scroll down to the list of UNSUPPORTED graphics adapters you will find the VIA/S3G listed there.

Even if you can get the game to run your graphics chip will really struggle.

wolfie3000 19:10 08 Jun 07

Looks like a new GFX card is in order,

But well worth getting as Halo CE is the best game on the planet.

crysta1s1ayer99 19:30 08 Jun 07

GODDAMMIT!

Ah well, I'm more than willing to upgrade if I can get Halo working. Halo is indeed the best game around.

Of course, I could just risk epilepsy by playing with a flashing screen.........

.....nah, I'm not that tight, or that stupid.

What can I say, everyone who has replied to this post, you are all awesome and thank you for all your help.
I'll be back if I ever get any future problems.

P.S. Anyone ever play a fantasy RPG called Neverend?
It doesn't run at all on my PC. I'll have a look at the incompatible graphics cards on there now I know what I'm looking 4.

Ta folks

crysta1s1ayer99 19:54 08 Jun 07

ok, here's a random question.. if I buy a new graphicas card for a PCI slot, will it automatically override the onboard graphics??

jarvis10@btinternet.com 21:01 08 Jun 07

it should disable the on board automatically and you just update the drivers, so you will see a ram increase after you upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced