Hall.dll missing or corrupt

Strawballs 08:27 05 Jun 06

When my daughter switched on her machine last night she got the message windows could not start because file HALL.dll is missing or corrupt, I tried repairing windows with the XP disc (not repair consul)but it did not work, any other suggestions would be welcome as I do not want to do a clean install yet. sorry XP pro.

€dstowe 08:32 05 Jun 06

Try the recommendation click here

Taff™ 08:40 05 Jun 06

click here which includes the previous suggestion and a couple of extra one`s. Also suggests what caused it.

Strawballs 08:02 06 Jun 06

Thank you both tried everything no joy, Taff™ good link but had to resort to clean install, am thinking hard drive could be problem will buy new one.

Diodorus Siculus 08:23 06 Jun 06

click here
Fix HAL, invalid Boot.ini etc

Diodorus Siculus 08:24 06 Jun 06

InformationWeek | XP Management | Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command | April 17, 2006
"many "Missing or corrupt HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," or "Windows could not start..." problems can be fixed with these five shortcut steps:

* Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
* Run "Attrib -H -R -S" on the C:\Boot.ini file
* Delete the C:\Boot.ini file
* Run "Bootcfg /Rebuild"
* Run Fixboot

It really can be as simple as that!"
click here

Strawballs 09:49 06 Jun 06

Think it must be the hard drive sat up untill 3am this morning formatting and reinstalling and it has gone again will try your suggestion Diodorus Siculus

Diodorus Siculus 10:12 06 Jun 06

Sounds like a failing hard disk, or at least one that has a poor file structure. A format / reinstall may be a good starting place.

Strawballs 10:24 06 Jun 06

Tried Diodorus Siculus link was told one or more unrecoverable sectors (new drive)

Montag 16:31 29 Sep 08

Diodorus Siculus,

I know this is an old post, but it helped me as well! I thought for sure I was going to have to completely reinstall Windows....

May the skyspirit bless you for all eternity! May you have many sons who's riches make Buffet and Gates look like street vendors!

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…