half speed broadband

number69 20:07 04 Feb 03

I use Freeserve anytime and I am having great problems both getting on line any very slow when I eventually do get on line. Doing a check on my line Freeserve say that the line is not suitable for broadband. Doing a test from B.T. Supanet and Tiscali sites returns the result that the line SHOULD be suitable for broadband. Tiscali are offering half speed broadband. Up to 256kbps for £19.99 . Has anyone any experience / advice on this service
Cable is not available in this area

Andrew P 20:23 04 Feb 03

Broadband is incompatable with a few additional services you can purchace from BT. If your phone line has some of these services enabled, then broadband will not work. When you use the Freeserve site to check for broadband availability, it will tell you if you have any of these incompatable services. The tiscali/BT etc. checkers do not. If Freeserve detects that you have incompatable services, it will not let you order broadband - you can contact BT by dialling 150 to find out what incompatable services you have on your phone line and to get them removed. You should then be able to order BB.

As for me, I am also on Freeserve Anytime, and do not have any problems with connecting, apart from recently when, in the evenings, it can take up to 5 attempts to get on. However this is rare for me and I always get on eventually. I wish I could get BB but I can't, because BT wont enable the exchange (56 people have registered an interest but we still dont have a trigger level)

hope this helps,
Andrew P.

number69 20:35 04 Feb 03

Hi Andrew thanks for the reply.
the return from Freeserve gives a long list of things that may be the cause of rejection. The local exchange is less than a mile away and is equiped for broadband.
As far as I know I do not have any of the things in the Freeserve list, but I do know the telephone cabling in this area is fairly old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…