Half speed?

flyingbrit 16:05 04 Jun 07

I have just set up an internet connection with a Netgear router wired to a pc via an ethernet cable, and a laptop connected wireless on a 2 meg connection. Am I right in thinking that when both pc and laptop are connected they should both be at a theoretical speed of 2 meg? I seem to be getting half speed to both when connected at the same time....is this right?
Regards.....John

Devil Fish 23:04 04 Jun 07

your connection is 2meg your router will distribute the band width between the 2 pcs theoretically 1 meg a piece though if you are downloading on 1 it will alllocate a higher bandwidth to that machine depending on download speed

woodchip 23:09 04 Jun 07

Two And Two make Four not two. But you most likely will never be both using at full potential at the same time

Devil Fish 23:26 04 Jun 07

yes but you have not got two and two you have got two and one two pcs and one incoming connection that will therefore be divided between the two pcs and two into one = 0.5 if you get my drift

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:31 04 Jun 07

You have One router at 2meg down the phone line any PCs connected to that line will have to share the bandwidth(2meg)

So one desktop plus 1 laptop = 1meg each

flyingbrit 11:24 05 Jun 07

steluta.....What the hell's that?
As for the rest of you....thanks very much, that's answered my question. (bit of a bummer tho') However I have been searching around and there are a few posts on other forums that say you can edit your regestry values to get the full 2 meg on each connection. (not that I'm going to get into that!!) but it is interesting......
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…