Half Life 2 crashing

iscanut 12:14 02 Feb 08

Have a new pc with Nvidia 8800GT (512Mb), Intel Dual Core 3Ghz, LCD display 5ms, 500 Gb HD and 4 Gb Ram. Would have thought this would cope with most games. BUT Half Life 2, Episode 1 crashes at different times. Screen just freezes and can only reboot. Have up to date Graphic card drivers installed. nothing shows in error log. Any ideas as to why. Have Win XP SP2 with all security updates. Is there any way AV or Spyware might be conflicting as I cannot think of anything else. Rather disappointed as I thought that this system would have been OK. Have tried lowering Video settings but to no avail. Recommended card settings do not do the trick.

RobCharles1981 12:18 02 Feb 08

The only option I can think of here is to open up steam and goto the Half Life 2 Game right click on it and Verify Game Creche and Defrag Game Files, if that doesn't work, Uninstall the game and re-install it.

I'm very surprised to that game should run great on your system like mine does.

MAT ALAN 12:20 02 Feb 08

Turn off all non essential services A/V auto updates
realtime scanning screen savers that sort of stuff and try again..
if it only happens in this game it may need patching ...

RobCharles1981 12:26 02 Feb 08

The Game Shouldn't need patching, Steam does all the Automatic Updates.

Thats why I said to Nuts to download and re-install the game, that way steam can gather any updates that the game might need.

citadel 13:35 02 Feb 08

half life 2 runs easily on a lot lesser spec than your pc, install game patches and have a look inside and make sure the power lead to the card is in properly.

iscanut 20:11 02 Feb 08

Thanks for responses.
Game Cache & Game defrag done and all OK. Will try uninstall and reinstall to see how it goes. Graphics card & power lead OK. Will also try disabling anti spyware & AV whilst playing to see if that's any good.

iscanut 09:58 05 Feb 08

Disabling AV & Spyware still do not stop game from freezing from time to time.According to Steam, game is up to date. Very frustrating. Anyone any other ideas ? I have mailed Steam support with a copy of MSINFO32 so will see what they say and post back unless someone has the answer out there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac