half life 2 and ATI Radeon

Jarvo 22:13 21 Dec 04

Having big probs with half life 2 and my laptop wonder if anyone can help? loaded and activated product OK game starts and the picture of the mans head with a valve for a eye appears, followed by text screen, then an out of focus street seen with loading at the bottom. the screen then goes black and the computer graphics crashes, with the message ATI2DVAG driver has failed and the computer needs to restart followed by a message saying half life 2 program cannot read memory.

I have tried un installing and re installing the latest ATI drivers from Acers website to no avail, any advice would be appreciated.

Acer 1603LM laptop
Intel P4 2.6
ATI Radeon 9000 64MB
512MB DDR
XP SP2
Direct X 9c

Many thanks in advance

Jarvo

gudgulf 22:46 21 Dec 04

Have a read of click here

I know that ATI recommend using video drivers sourced by your laptop manufacturer but consider Omega drivers.These are "unofficial" but are based on the ATI drivers and will work with mobility Radeon cards.click here have a good read and look at the the FAQ's and notes for installing ATI drivers.I have used these drivers for any ATI cards I have for a couple of years now and work very well indeed( they have even been endorsed by ATI).

All I am saying here is consider trying them..the latest version may be more up to date than those provided by ACER and since these drivers are optimised for games they may help with your problem....if they don't work you can always revert to the official ACER drivers.

Starfox 23:02 21 Dec 04

According to this click here it may be that your graphics card is not up to the job.

gudgulf 23:24 21 Dec 04

Hi Starfox----I read that one too.

I don't think the 9000 will be a star performer but it should at least run the game at the lowest settings rather than crash the system.

Jarvo,Starfox is right though---If you want to run the latest games a better graphics card is a must.The visual improvements to be had by running a good DirectX9 capable card have to be seen to be beleived!

Jarvo 00:34 22 Dec 04

done the trick gudgulf and Starfox I thank you both. Yep I know that with my graphics card I am not going to get the best gaming experience but with a laptop I am stuck with it. I don't play many games (so cant justify a desktop for gaming) but loved the original half life and the half life 2 box makes no mention of graphics cards. problem resolved!

Jarvo

computernerdiamnot 07:03 22 Dec 04

adding to my postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…