Half Height Graphics Cards

crease 14:55 03 May 06

Hi,

Would anyone be able to recommend a good half height AGP graphics card. I would like it to be able to play games such as Call of Duty etc.

Thanks

Totally-braindead 15:11 03 May 06

If you do a google search for " low profile graphics card" that will get you some. I have to say though that they are few and far between and as far as I know you won't get a good one. The best I've seen is something like a 5200 Geforce but maybe someone else has seen something better.

Gongoozler 15:15 03 May 06

I don't know how good they are, but I found these at Ebuyer click here and click here

Totally-braindead 15:38 03 May 06

I also have no idea how good they are but they are very expensive.

crease 16:54 03 May 06

I have looked at them and i think that there a little expensive. I think ill either get a new case or look into modifying a 6200. It doesnt look good thu.

Totally-braindead 17:42 03 May 06

If you are happy enough with the computer you have and just want a newer graphics card and the case is stopping you doing it then I agree a new case would be the most reasonable option. It really depends on what specification your PC is as to whether it is reasonable to spend say £80-100 upgrading it. New case perhaps £30 new graphics card perhaps £50.

I presume its a branded PC you have. Presumming it is one word of warning, be sure the power supply connectors are standard ones. Some PC manufacturers used to, and I don't think this is true anymore, alter the connections to the motherboard so a standard power supply wouldn't connect properly. The simple answer to this of course is either buy a case without a power supply or put your old power supply in place of the one in the new case. Novatech have some really nice cases click here

Stuartli 19:41 03 May 06

PSUs should follow the ATX etc specifications set by Intel and which were regularly upgraded.

click here

click here

Totally-braindead 19:55 03 May 06

They should Stuartli but they do not always, crease has never said what his computer is or how old it is. I was just playing safe. I had this arguement with someone last year he insisted I was talking a pack of rubbish, when I posted a link to what I was saying he mysteriously never replied. Have a look click here as far as I know this is not common, indeed Dell perhaps are using standard ones now but I felt I should warn crease to double check it before he connected it up.

phono 22:35 03 May 06

I can confirm that Dell used to use a "proprietary" PSU connector see, Totally-braindead's link, the mobo connector was also modified.

I had to buy one of these and modify a friend's PC case with a multitool in order to use a standard ATX PSU, a replacement Dell PSU, where available, was horrendous money and second user units with no warranty were making £65 plus at the time.

The case had to be modified as there was no cutout for a standard ATX PSU power switch and the fan outlet was partially covered, he didn't want to shell out for a new case.

Mr Beeline 22:40 03 May 06

phono

Yep... Had the same scenario myself upgrading a friends Dell PC.

Starfox 22:45 03 May 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…