Half dead PC

mrwoowoo 20:16 09 Apr 10

A work collegue who is not too PC literate has an half dead PC.
The fans spin,the tower light comes on , but the monitor stays blank and the keyboard doesn't light up.
I would have thought that a PSU would either die or run ok so i don't think mit's that ( IMHO).
He doesn't get any beeps although when it first happened "it went ping", his words.
Perhaps a RAM or onboard graphics chip problem?
Any thoughts?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 09 Apr 10

"monitor stays blank and the keyboard doesn't light up."

PSU is most likely / followed by motherboard as it doesn't appear to complete the BIOS boot sequence.

cream. 20:38 09 Apr 10

Most likely PSU

If it has more than one stick of ram, alternate them and try one stick at a time. If it has any PCI cards, take them out. Unplug any usb devices. Disconnect ard drives, optical drives, card readers and ancient floppy drives by pulling the cables at the rear.

mrwoowoo 20:51 09 Apr 10

Thanks for replying guys.
He said the ping was definately a little pop. Does this suggests a blow capacitor in the motherboard?. Don't think it's the monitor as he can still get the menu up on it.
If it's a motherboard capacitor would a stand alone graphics card sort or bypass the problem or is the m/b dead and buried?

cream. 21:00 09 Apr 10

A pop is usually the psu blowing one part of it's circuit.

"Don't think it's the monitor as he can still get the menu up on it."

Is that the monitor menu or the bios screen?

"If it's a motherboard capacitor would a stand alone graphics card sort or bypass the problem or is the m/b dead and buried?"

Dead.

sunnystaines 21:05 09 Apr 10

had this after a power surge both psu and m/b were dead.

fruitbat i rekon is spoton

mrwoowoo 21:25 09 Apr 10

He only gets the monitor menu.
Thanks all. Now i have all the bases covered i expect i'll get roped in to having a look at it for him.(O:!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017