Hal.dll missing or corrupt windows wont boot again

Major Disaster 22:05 29 Jul 05

A while back my pc for apparnetly no reason went to boot but came up with the message "Windows could not start becuase the flowing file is missing or corrupt: Windows root>System32\hall.dll." I tried to boot into safe mode but i get the same message.
After over 100 posts on this forum (and trying to manually copy over the file from a floppy) i gave up and did a repair install, (not a reformt and install as i need to keep the network settings).
A few weeks later after a disk defrag and a disk cleanup the same thing happened (but there was a message about file security and sfc. first so i put in the xp disk and did sfc/scannow, but it came up with a message that it did not recognise the disk, so i just left it.) After a reboot i got the hal.dll message. Again a repair install.
I am getting tired of having to repair install and was wondering what i could do. I have a few ideas...
1. Both hall.dll in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and C:\I386 are not read only, if i made them read only would this stop them being lost?
2. The computer has never been on the net (no windows updates) neither have any of the others pcs on the network. Would downloading all the updates make it more stable (or would this somehow cause conflicts when i put it back on the network with the other computers as they will not be updated).
3. Would it help if i posted hall.inf (a txt file about hal.dll)
Thankyou for any help, it is much appreciated

AndySD 22:10 29 Jul 05

It may be the hard disk is failing. Try the disk manufacturers website and download their own disk checking program.

Major Disaster 22:24 29 Jul 05

In device manager under Disk drives it said it has a "WDC WD400BB-75DEA0" any idea what the manufacturer is (it was bought from dell if that helps)

Kev.Ifty 22:29 29 Jul 05

Unless you have added any new hardware recently, i think AndySD is right. Make sure you have a back up before it goes completely.

As for Network settings... Can't you save the current setting?

badgermansix 22:38 29 Jul 05

click here click here
hal.dll is a system file in i386 of the O.S disk
can you get into safe mode f8 after bootup and do sfc /scannow and also chkdsk

I had the same problem and with help on this forum, resolved it. do a search hal.dll here

flavas 22:40 29 Jul 05

WDC WD400BB-75DEA0
western Digital makes the HD

AndySD 23:00 29 Jul 05

click here Data Lifeguard.

Major Disaster 10:52 30 Jul 05

Ok sorry i havent posted in a while.

Kev.Ifty - i havent installed any new hardware on the laptop ever!
No i dont think i can, so i would have to some how reistall the network (which i have no idea how to) plus install a stock control programme that is also on the network (so everyone has current stock figures).

badgermansix - when i got the message about hal.dll missing i could not boot at all (not into safe mode, last known good configuration etc.) i had to use the xp pro disk.

Andy SD - What is data lifeguard?

Thanks all of you for your help

AndySD 20:54 30 Jul 05

click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…