Analyst02 22:35 25 Jan 05

my partner was on MSN when someone sent the files HAHAHA and LOL to her. She never downloaded anything but they have appeared in my received files... it has slowed pc to a crawl and keypad (its a laptop)is not working properly.

Has anyone come across this before and do you have any ideas on how i can get rid of the offening files?

thanks in advance!

alan227 22:38 25 Jan 05

Go to here and follow the instructions to post a HJT

click here

stalion 22:48 25 Jan 05

just so you know they are viruses

johnnyrocker 23:22 25 Jan 05

your partner needs to be very selective as do you about your preference seetings re file transfers.

Analyst02 23:37 25 Jan 05

It has nothing to do with file transfer or preference settings. As i said .. nothing was downloaded or sent.

I believe this has been sent via the address book.

The virus scanner (bit defender) picked up nothing during the scan. People on her friends list also got infected, So pointing to an address book attached virus!!

I dont need the whys and wherefores no matter how missed placed they are johnny .. i need any information on the problem being removed!!!

Chezdez 23:40 25 Jan 05

try using a different anti-virus program (i must admit to having never heard of bit-defender), AVG tends to be the most recommended one

click here

johnnyrocker 23:42 25 Jan 05

your post says sent but did not specify how, it can not just arrive via address book it has to be a transfer of some kind e mail or otherwise, outside possibility which might only happen in a totally unprotected machine is a hacker.

Nellie2 23:43 25 Jan 05

You could try some online virus scans, allow them to delete whatever they find:

click here

click here

click here

Scan with all three

Analyst02 23:52 25 Jan 05

Johnny .. im surprised you have never heard of a virus being transmitted souly through your address book. You do not have to send an email to receive this. so far about 4 people from my address book has got it and it has now spread to people on their address books. Yet no file has been sent or downloaded by anyone.

This laptop is protected by a firewall and antivirus and any files that are sent via MSN are automatically scanned so it is not left to human error on whether a scan takes place.

chez .. bit defender was rated number 1 above AVG. but thanks anyway.

AVG also didnt pick up the virus as that was run on her fathers computer who was also infected... but again no file was transfered.

will try another virus nellie.

johnnyrocker 23:56 25 Jan 05

sorry dont believe you, the only other way would be if one was silly enough to have windows messenger enabled, perhaps you could enlighten me further as to how you think this could happen because as far as i know nowt moves/arrives without some form of transfer.

Analyst02 00:00 26 Jan 05

well johnny it is not my job to make you believe things or not. let me add you to her msn and i will prove it to you!!

Windows messnager has been deleted from this laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…