Haggling tips - what's your advice?

Brittnewbury 12:09 08 Aug 04

I'm about to buy a budget pc - say something like the Evesham Axis 64 3400+ or similar, and want to get the best possible deal. What do you think are the best haggle areas with the retailers?

spanneress 12:14 08 Aug 04

PAy in cash and go to a sole trader / small outlet...they are far more likely to move on the price. The giant chains will look at you as if you are mad.

Sethhaniel 12:15 08 Aug 04

probsbly end up with extra's you don't want at more cost.
- unless you wear ear plugs and take a list of the specifications you require and lowest prices you have seen them advertised for.

if you already have screen/ keyboard/ mouse/ speakers only the tower is needed -
;)

Forum Editor 12:21 08 Aug 04

to be aware of competitive prices for similar goods from other suppliers. Mention this when discussing your proposed purchase and ask your selected supplier to meet the price.

Don't get your hopes to high though - suppliers have already made sure that their products are as keenly priced as their marketing policy will permit. You can't get blood from a stone, and sometimes it's silly to expect otherwise.

Sethhaniel 12:26 08 Aug 04

and manager specials are the best bet
at the likes of Staples ;)
thats where I got mine after trawling the local 'little shops' in the surrounding area plus web searches -
you could strike it lucky

canard 12:56 08 Aug 04

Last time I asked for improved deal for cash was told it had been legislated against!

algernonymous 13:07 08 Aug 04

I'd suggest looking at used PC's - my neighbour paid (or is it payed?) £700 for one last year and now can't sell it for £300. Buying new PC's is like buying new cars...

terryr48 13:23 08 Aug 04

You can usually get a deal with Staples and more surprisingly Comet will often deal if you speak to the manager of the computer dept.

spanneress 13:32 08 Aug 04

You lot must be living in ungenerous area's!! I always barter when buying locally (as opposed to off the net!

You are going to be paying VAT, plus their profit and a fee for having it built so it is the more expensive route..also with off the shelf products you will be purchasing bits that you don't actually require.

Take a wad of notes into a local shop and buy the bits..alternatively..shop on line for the bits where there are always deals and build it yourself.

Decide first exactly what your requirements are.

NB..I barter whenever I take cash..regardless of what I am purchasing...with the exception of the big retailers. It works if you have the nerve.

Stuartli 14:04 08 Aug 04

If you go to click here you can buy a base unit from about £50 upwards to more than £300 for a modern one (also laptops on offer).

Only needs a monitor...:-)

click here

Stuartli 14:05 08 Aug 04

The monitor can be also obtained there from around £35 for a refurbished 17in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…