Had to re-set Netgear router - have I missed owt?

pc_sausage 13:37 02 Feb 06

Due to loss of BB connection had to restore Netgear DG834G router to factory settings.

My connections back, but is there anything I should change in the set-up / maintenance areas - for speed or security etc?

Thanks

pc_sausage 15:01 02 Feb 06

PaulB2005 15:18 02 Feb 06

Security will also have been reset. You'll need to switch it on again.

pc_sausage 15:20 02 Feb 06

Do you know how I do this?

PaulB2005 15:22 02 Feb 06

Log into the router and it'll be under the settings. You'll need to set a key and then distribute it to all the wireless equipment.

Should be in the manual.

QuizMan 15:24 02 Feb 06

I am not familiar with this particular router, but I believe it is a wireless one. Much depends on what changes, if any, you had made to the default settings. You will almost certainly have lost any security settings that you had, such as changing SSID and disabling its broadcast, firewall (unless enabled by default)and WEP/WPA encryption. I think that SSID and firewall are vital, but opinion is divided about encryption.

keewaa 15:45 02 Feb 06

WEP or WPA Encryption is what gives you wireless security and stops people in the neighbourhood using and abusing your wireless network. You'll have to set this up again.

Firewall should be already on in the factory settings, SSID doesn't really make it any more secure, it just hides it from being obvious.

pc_sausage 15:57 02 Feb 06

I've now found these bits on the Netgear settings page.

I'm also using a company laptop which connects wirelessly via a network card.

When I change the WEP settings etc on the desktop, I lose laptop connection - do you know how / where I set up these codes for the laptop to maintain network access?

Ta

PaulB2005 16:01 02 Feb 06

There must be some software installed that controls the Wireless. can you find it in the Start Menu?

pc_sausage 16:04 02 Feb 06

I can find:

Netgear WG511T Adapter

It looks more like a tool to monitor connection performance - can't see facility to amend settings etc.

pc_sausage 17:14 02 Feb 06

Just run checks online, e.g. Sygate etc and found no problems.

Will leave it all alone for time being.

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced