Hacktool

rosie 09:20 11 Mar 06

I run Windows XP Home and Norton Anti-Virus, updated daily. Yesterday, Norton reported that Hacktool (2 instances) had been detected, that the threat was 'High'. I pressed repair and the message came that this had been done. Am I still under any threat, i.e. is there any vestige of Hacktool on my system?, and should I therefore restore my system to an earlier date?

vinnyT 10:03 11 Mar 06

Take a look here click here at the symantec site, from what I read the threat assessment is low (as is removal, instructions about halfway down page).

The thing to remember about these infections, is that if a system restore point has been made since the nasty got onto your pc, then it is going to be in the restore backup, so the infection will keep on recuring. You need to disable system restore (you should know that this will wipe all your restore points from your pc), restart your pc, rescan with NAV, then reset system restore.

Hope this helps.

rosie 10:35 11 Mar 06

Thank you. I think I'm satisfied now that this trojan has been removed okay with Norton. I've done a full scan, also with Spybot and Counterspy, and no sign of it. Will note the system restore tip.

vinnyT 11:53 11 Mar 06

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…