Hacking and Hackers

DonnyB 10:52 02 Oct 05

Can the managers/moderators of a Forum hack into a member's home PC by any means? i.e. thru the link with that forum?

CurlyWhirly 12:27 02 Oct 05

I am no expert but I think Moderators or Admin can only see your IP address and so as long as you have a firewall (as well as the usual anti virus, etc), I don't see how this can be done?

DonnyB 12:48 02 Oct 05

Thanks Curlywhirly....I know nothing about the hacking thing...question arose as a pal lost his stuff and swears blind they" got at it. Tks will see if anyone else comes up.

wee eddie 14:09 02 Oct 05

What do you mean by "Lost"?

DonnyB 14:25 02 Oct 05

Thnks Wee Eddie..he sez that his files do to with forum have been deleted (or got at am not sure)....but he is sure that someone there has the nowhow to hack into his computer!!!?

wee eddie 15:10 02 Oct 05

"View your Postings"

Seems to be a problem for most of us at the moment.

DonnyB 16:28 02 Oct 05

Sri W E...not this forum...did'nt make myself clear....it is not the files ON the forum...but the files on his home PC.....they have either disappeared or been tampered with..he sez.

wee eddie 17:00 02 Oct 05

It would be useful to know more about his system, and what software he is running.

DonnyB 17:11 02 Oct 05

Hi Wee Eddie...he's not in UK....and unsure if even HE knows much about either his system or what's on it. My Q. was a general one, I suppose, to ask if it COULD Ebe done...sri so vague.

VoG II 17:39 02 Oct 05

This site is not restricted to UK membership.

He can find out about his PC if he downloads this click here or click here

CurlyWhirly 19:06 02 Oct 05

I would suggest that he has some malware on his PC (possibly a trojan) as I think it very unlikely that forum Admin or Mods would be to blame for hacking your friends PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…