Hackers

ZnO 11:24 16 Feb 03

Is zoneAlarm the best way to stop hackers ?

BBez 11:31 16 Feb 03

wouldn't say it's unbreakable but any good firewall should keep you safe. Don't think proper "hackers" will bother too much about home PC users though as there's nothing worth having. Most break in attempts will be from Lamers and Script Kiddies using someones software to do the work for them...

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:32 16 Feb 03

Firewalls…….they are useful in stopping Trojans dialing out but to be honest, if someone wanted to put a dialer on a computer it would not be rocket science. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, TooLeaky having the Gibsonmeisters’ grudgingly awarded seal of entry.

The Cult of the Dead Cows’ Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsofts’ Back Office, could be put on a target computer if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep. However. like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. Hacking is not about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

A quick look at attrition.org, the cult of the dead cow.com and astalavista.com will give anyone an idea of what hacking is actually about (it is not all spotty scriptkidz - the Dead Cow staff's average age is over 40) rather than some of the hyped up nonsense that our papers like to blather on about.

Hacking a home computer, especially one with a 56k connection and different IP each time you log on, is difficult.......hacking is more about gaining network passwords (ask the 100 top secret American sites that a British hacker recently compromised) than getting onto a home users computer. Sorry to sound dismissive but like mine, home computers usually contain utter drivel which might be important to the owner but meaningless to the great unwashed ;-).

Credit card numbers can easily be obtained without the aggro of getting through a computer port (clue:....have a look outside a supermarket or ask any shop worker) and ask any Private Detective how easy it is to get bank details.

I use Outpost from click here but most firewalls (even the much slated XP) will 'protect' you from cursory 'attacks' but if someone REALLY wanted to gain access to your computer..........

G

ZnO 16:46 16 Feb 03

GANDALF<|:)>

your explanation is very interesting, but i thought you kept the same IP address every time you logged on to the internet.

Forum Editor 17:05 16 Feb 03

each time - unless you run your own nameserver (which very few people do).

Every time you connect to your ISP you are dynamically allocated a new IP address which lasts for that session only. The IP is logged by the ISP and can be used to track your internet activities at any time in the future. That's partly the technology that's used to find paedophiles, and those who write viruses etc. Your time online is recorded. Each server you visit as you surf the net records your entry and exit times, and the pages you look at. These records, plus the ISP's IP logs can pinpoint an individual's movements very precisely.

If you disconnect and the connect again very rapidly there's a chance that you will get the same IP the second time - but it's rare with a busy ISP

ZnO 17:12 16 Feb 03

Forum Editor

Thank you for your reply, you've been a great help.

ZnO

canard 20:43 16 Feb 03

Is it true that when on cable your ISP address stays the same for a week?

VoG™ 20:46 16 Feb 03

I'm on cable, 'puter on 24/7 and my IP never seems to change.

silliw 21:35 16 Feb 03

cable broadband - fixed IP address as long as the modem is left on
cable dial up - variable IP each time you dial up

Shedender 21:44 16 Feb 03

I didn't realise the IP address changed every time. That makes me feel better but as Gandalf says I don't think I've got anything on my PC that would interest anyone else.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:52 16 Feb 03

Your IP addy will stay the same on cable as it is 'always on'. However, in theory, if you turn it off you should get a different IP addy.

If someone wanted to hack into a computer a static or variable IP address would be the least of their worries.;-))

Personally I would be more concerned about viruses although they are likely to be merely annoying rather than disastrous. Why hack into a home computer to view the latest garden design or soccer moms' league tables? As stated before there are much. much easier ways to blag credit card and bank account numbers.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…