Hacked? Virus? Haven't a clue!

Sir Radfordin™ 22:18 09 Jan 03
  Sir Radfordin™ 22:18 09 Jan 03

Just come back to my PC after a couple of hours TV viewing and had loads of messages from Norton saying that xxx file was infected with w32.Nimda.enc virus.

Funny me thinks, not having been at home, not having received any emails and also running a full scan at lunchtime today.

So I go and check the log and this is one of many entries found:

Date: 09/01/2003, Time: 21:49:58, Guest on MESH
The file
D:\oldpcfiles\VirtualDrives\House\faithless - we come one (extended radio mix).eml
is infected with the W32.Nimda.enc virus.
Access to the file was denied.

Anyone able to explain what is going on? The files that it claims to be infected have never existed on my PC (and still don't!). The guest account in XP is not on. NAV was running, but I'll admit Outpost was in disable mode...yer yer I know but "it'll never happen to me" frame of mind!

y_not 22:35 09 Jan 03

Spent half an hour scouring the net but can't find anything that seems even remotely close to your problem.....sorry

Sir Radfordin™ 22:37 09 Jan 03

likewise! most odd!

VoG™ 22:38 09 Jan 03

Me too -- sorry!

Rtus 22:42 09 Jan 03

ive seen that log entry somewhere but blowed if I can remember where. however google search reviels this one> click here

Rtus 22:44 09 Jan 03

An Ill be able to spell soon too...

VoG™ 22:44 09 Jan 03

Yes I found that as well but thought that Norton must have fixed the false detection by now, surely?

Sir Radfordin™ 22:45 09 Jan 03

Hope you haven't seen that log anywhere who else is mad enough to call a computer MESH ;-)

Thanks for the link

Sir Radfordin™ 22:47 09 Jan 03

VoG, agree NAV should have fixed this by now!

VoG™ 22:50 09 Jan 03

You could try an online scan click here

I would suggest disabling Norton before you run it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…