Guide To how To Reinstall

prince midas 11:53 08 Nov 05

I am purchasing a new computor in the next month.
In the past I used various reg cleaners etc to keep my machine running happily.

I would like to make a copy of my machines innards before I start using it but am not sure what to use. I know how to use Ghost and wondered if I made a copy of the machine on day one,wether every year I could format my hard drive and then put my Ghost copy back onto the machine but I would then have to reistall all my programs a fresh. Is this the best way or could someone give my a run down as to what I should do before I purchase this new machine.

PaulB2005 12:02 08 Nov 05

You can do that with either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Personally i use True Image to make daily images to a separate hard drive (you can't save them to the same drive you are imaging).
I would also download the following

AVG Free click here

Ad-Aware click here

and

SpywareBlaster click here

If you don't use Ghost or True Image learn how to use System Restore to make regular Restore points.

Learn to use your CD Writer to back up your files.

Learn how to keep your Anti virus and other security software up to date.

rawprawn 12:09 08 Nov 05

I agree with Acronis, and although PaulB2005 is right what he says about copying to the same drive Acronis will create a "Secure Zone" on an existing HD.My big question is why you should want to reformat every year.

prince midas 13:02 08 Nov 05

I have managed quite happily for the last 4 years just using eack week a variety of spyware removers and registry cleaners to remove temp files etc each weekend. But I have been advised to start with a clean machine once a year by formatting my drive.I do know how to use Norton Ghost but am a little unsure of how to do a new install each year and wanted your advice.

PaulB2005 13:05 08 Nov 05

"I have been advised to start with a clean machine once a year by formatting my drive."

To be honest it sounds like a pain. If you know how o use Ghost then i would suggest - make an image of the drive immediately with no extra software installed and burn it to more than 1 CD / DVD. Keep it safe.

Then make weekly or monthly images to an external drive using Ghost.

If you need to you can go back a few days or a week or so. If the worst comes to the worst then you can start again, but if you know Ghost then weekly images should do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…