GUI resources

pienter 20:37 08 Jun 03

Norton Disk Doctor frequently comes up with an alert that GUI resources are low despite the fact that I have 320Mb RAM installed and a large part of 60 Gb harddisk capacity unused.

Does anyone know what determines the availability of GUI resources and how these can be increased?

hugh-265156 21:17 08 Jun 03

could be too many programs running in the background using up memory.or maybe even spyware.

some more info on windows version and set up would help.

to see how much ram is being used right click the taskbar and click task manager/performance

to disable programs running at start up with windows,go to start/run and type msconfig into the box and click ok

click on the start up tab and untick any programs you recognise.go to click here for referernce.but leave your firewall and antivirus ticked as you want these to start with windows.click apply and ok then restart.

you will now get a warning that you have changed the way windows starts,just tick dont show again.

then run disc cleanup,do a disk check and defrag.

try running spybot click here

remove disk doctor maybe

if its xp upgrade to 512 of ram

pienter 21:58 09 Jun 03

Thanks to Huggyg71 for his response. Operating system in use is Win98 with updates and RAM currently in use is about 50% (but Norton isn't currently indicating an alert). I've thinned out several programmes from the startup and will try Spybot just in case. After that I shall wait and see if Disk Doctor issues any more alerts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…