Guestbook filled with rubbish from sad people

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 22:16 30 Mar 05

Hello all,

I get really annoyed sometimes with the rubbish that appears on my website from the guestbook.

You don't need login,you don't have to state email adds or your name.just a simple box that was made in frontpage express in the templates.

Today i recieved this comment

"Ben, This is the biggest load of drivle that I have ever seen. I'm not an idiot. I didn't want your virus. And I don't know why I bothered to waste my time reading this crap. I wish I had spent my time getting the fluff out of my bellybutton. Still must go now, I've got to watch the paint dry on my walls. Sort this crap out or better still just bog off!!!"

Im not that bothered by it,but some comments are quite nasty,and it would also save me having to edit the guestlog file each day.

If anyone could give me tips on how i can stop this rubbish.id be most greatefull!

Thankyou!

Ben

james55 23:08 30 Mar 05

BIG Ben strikes 10 again!

I don't think there is much you can do other than abandoning your Guest Book or as you suggest edit out the comments.

This sounds like a wind up from someone who should know better and if he had a half a brain cell would be dangerous.

I might be wrong, but I don’t think this guy is all that young, the reason I am saying this, I will not see 60 again and we were taught to write a letter 'I' as a capital and if you have quoted correctly this chap has done the same.

Anyway don’t let idiots like this put you off, sorry I can’t help further.

Jim.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 23:12 30 Mar 05

Hello,

Thanks for your comments (good ones) :)

I shall remove the guestbook,it is actully the best soloution but i have got good comments not all bad ones,there all from friends ect.

"You have a guestbook because your ego wants feeding with comments about how hard you've worked and how good the site is."

Hmm...im pretty sure that my site isn't niether good or interesting.

It is still in its devolopement at the moment but i will be adding stuff later.

The website is click here if you can give me any tips?

I also asked my webhoast the same question as here,they replied,'you will have to put up with it'.i asked them about IP logging (i wasn'r sure what it was) but they said it was not possible.

I have my forum on my site aswell click here which is password protected i don't know how to edit it all,ill find out sometime.

Thanks very much for your input!

james55 23:24 30 Mar 05

BIG Ben strikes 10 again!

Ben I wish you had put a link to your site earlier, although what I said still holds good the fact that you have links that include the words idiot & virus would suggest even more a wind up.

Ignore him and keep your guest book.

Jim.

Forum Editor 02:42 31 Mar 05

and part of it consists of discovering that there are some people who take a delight in defacing anything that others have worked hard to produce. My local council tries hard to improve our streets by planting saplings in the pavements. Any tree that lasts longer than a month without being snapped off in the night is doing well.

Remove your guestbook Ben, and save yourself any more irritation. There are more important things to worry about than brainless idiots.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 13:07 31 Mar 05

Guestbook is going.

I still have my forum when it is redesigned.

Mostly to cover topics that PCA hasn't,so anyone can join.

Thankyou for all the comments

forum member - "You're obviously getting good at putting content from other sources into your pages."

I did steal a page off a geoctities page,it was wrong and pointless,so i took it off and linked to it instead.it was wrong i know,but everything is my own now,but the javascripts I put to use,which was open to anyone.

You can probly tell that it is only just started up and i am still adding content to it,the layout is really rubbish but i have no idea what to do about it,and it really needs a makeover.

Thanks all for the (nice) comments :-)

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 13:07 31 Mar 05

Guestbook is going.

I still have my forum when it is redesigned.

Mostly to cover topics that PCA hasn't,so anyone can join.

Thankyou for all the comments

forum member - "You're obviously getting good at putting content from other sources into your pages."

I did steal a page off a geoctities page,it was wrong and pointless,so i took it off and linked to it instead.it was wrong i know,but everything is my own now,but the javascripts I put to use,which was open to anyone.

You can probly tell that it is only just started up and i am still adding content to it,the layout is really rubbish but i have no idea what to do about it,and it really needs a makeover.

Thanks all for the (nice) comments :-)

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:25 01 Apr 05

Hello the guestbook is gone.

I have tried to make the site look a bit more proffesional,and people complained of the yellow.

Hopefully it looks a little better?

Still adding stuff though

Thankyou

jolorna 22:13 01 Apr 05

i had a look at your site tonight and the blue writing on black background is unreadable with my eyes also i also thought your comment (But if you don't like my site either now or later then just leave quietly, thanks.) is something that isn't realy called for & very childish

Forum Editor 23:59 01 Apr 05

1. Your colour scheme is terrible, and will present real problems for people who have colour blindness or visual impairments. Blue text on a black ground is probably the worst combination you could have - followed by black text on a lime-green ground.

2. The virus page is rather silly, and is extremely irritating. Spoof virus download messages are irresponsible and childish, and I suggest you ditch this page immediately.

3. Joke pages are one of the worst aspects of amateur sites, and look very unprofessional. Humour is a very personal thing, and my advice is to forget it.

You need to think carefully about what you really want to do with your site, rather than diving off in many different directions. Look at a lot of other sites, and try to work out why some are successful and some are not. Develop an overall theme, and work on it until you feel that you have an identity, rather than making each page look completely different. Visitors need to be made aware that they's on a site with a message, rather than wandering disjointedly through a series of randomly designed pages.

jolorna's comment about your "please leave quitely" paragraph is absolutely right. One golden rule of publishing is never to insult your readership.

jolorna 00:05 02 Apr 05

i passed comment on teh colour scheme of you page and just stated that the one comment on the page wasn't realy called for, and putting the stars & the off as a commentis just abuse to a person, if you don't want people to view your site just don't put a link to it, yes i know your age, but if everybody put that comment on there website, the internet would be a very sad place

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…