Guest Book Spam Attacks

thegreypanther 13:25 16 Jun 06

I run two websites, both of which are hosted by 1 & 1 Co.uk and both of which use 1 & 1's Guest Book facility.
Although 1 & 1 say that "HTML is not allowed" for entries in their Guest Books, this does NOT stop the spammers making entries which include URLs for their dodgy websites. The URLs are, of course, HTML code.
Although the URLs are not displayed such that they can be selected and thereby link to the dodgy websites, the frequency with which the spammers post their Guest Book entries is incredibly annoying. The entries are immediately deleted, but this does not deter the spammers.
Any comments on this attack by spammers on 1 & 1's Guest Books? Can anyone recommend a Guest Book which can be used together with 1 & 1's CGI / PHP free environment?

bluto1 21:03 16 Jun 06

I don`t have a website, but I`d have thought that it would be easier for you to kick your present hosts into touch and set up a new website using, if you have to, a host who will take measures against spammers of any description, thereby leaving you a clean website.
Of course, if my suggestion is impossible for any reason then I`m out of order answering your query, and no doubt someone will tell me so. I`ve got very broad shoulders.

ade.h 21:17 16 Jun 06

You would get more specific adice in Webdesign, but now that it's here...

Can I take it from your last line that the Guestbook does not use PHP? If not, what code does it run on?

I would have thought that a PHP-driven guestbook would be better, as code that would block certain data from being entered could probably be added quite easily. Like the code that prevents CC and BCC entries in the email address field of a form.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…