GTX660 won't see two screens

Ian in Northampton 20:27 07 Jan 14
Answered

As regulars may recall, I got my son a GTX660 for Xmas.

It’s installed now, and he’s very happy with it.

Except: something I didn’t check out – it comes with DVI-D and DVI-I out. I have a gazillion DVI-I adapters – but no DVI-D ones. No problem: eBay is your friend. The appropriate adapter turned up today.

But: no way can I make the GTX660 see both screens. Whichever way round I connect his TV and Samsung screen, only the one attached to the DVI-I port works.

Am I missing something obvious? (Other than the DVI-D adapter being faulty?)

(Btw: please don’t suggest using the HDMI out from the GTX660 to the TV. I tried that. No way could e get the (non-native) resolution he wanted).

Woolwell 23:06 07 Jan 14

Have you got the right cables?

You should be able to change the resolution using HDMI by using the Nvidia Control Panel. Assume that you have used the Nvidia control panel to set up dual display.

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 08 Jan 14

Which type of cable are you connecting to this DVI-D adapter Ian?

Ian in Northampton 09:41 08 Jan 14

Thanks guys. Interesting question re cables. I'm using a regular VGA cable from the DVI-D adapter to the VGA port on the display. Problem?

Woolwell: yes, we used the NVIDIA control panel to try to get the right resolution. It detected the native HD-ready resolution of the screen, but when we selected it, the image was all bunched up in a corner of the screen.

Secret-Squirrel 09:50 08 Jan 14

"...........regular VGA cable from the DVI-D adapter to the VGA port on the display............. Problem?"

Sadly Ian, it could be a problem. DVI-D is digital only and VGA is analogue only. To get an analogue signal from a digital source you need a converter.

DVI-I (integrated) on the other hand outputs digital and analogue so that's why a simple adapter works.

Just to be sure, post a link to this adapter you bought.

Woolwell 09:51 08 Jan 14

Not sure about cables but I think that Secret-Squirrel will be able to answer.

You should be able to adjust the image position using the control panel see Nvidia customer help

Ian in Northampton 09:54 08 Jan 14

Thanks again guys.

Secret-Squirrel: this one. I think you may be on to something - but, that being the case, it makes you wonder what use a DVI-I to VGA adapter is?

Secret-Squirrel 10:07 08 Jan 14

That's just an adapter Ian - everything will fit together nicely but you'll never get anything on the screen :(

"it makes you wonder what use a DVI-I to VGA adapter is?"

You do mean DVI-D don't you? A Google search shows that there are plenty on sale which I find surprising. I can't imagine what use these adapters are.

Have a look here at the feedback from a few disgruntled Amazon customers who'd bought one.

Secret-Squirrel 15:53 08 Jan 14

Ian, this is the type of converter gadget I was referring to earlier.

Note that I've never used one myself so do some research before deciding on which one to buy for your son.

Woolwell 17:45 08 Jan 14
Answer

What connections do you have on the monitor and TV?

Ian in Northampton 12:07 13 Jan 14

Thanks for your help guys. Problem eventually solved by getting another screen out of the loft with a DVI-D port, buying a £1.75 DVI-D cable off eBay and hooking it all up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now