Grrrrr Had enough

lambo7 11:08 02 Sep 05

Please help, I've fitted a new hard-drive and used my old one as a slave. Now the old one is 120gb, but the bios is seeing as a 31gb..???
Also I load XP on, then when it reboots it has a "ntldr error" I copy the file over but when it re-boots it come up with the same error.

Doire_Bhoy 11:13 02 Sep 05

ntldr???? maybe your XP disc is faulty. Have you got another?

Doire_Bhoy 11:17 02 Sep 05

If the BIOS doesnt recognize the whole 120gb...maybe you need to update the BIOS?

ventanas 11:20 02 Sep 05

For ntldr click here

For the drive size, if its FAT32, 32gb is the maximum size XP can format to. If you want to see the rest of the space you will need to use Fdisk from either Win98 or ME, or format the drive to ntfs, which I would recommend anyway.

DieSse 11:21 02 Sep 05

Yup - almost certainly a BIOS problem. What make is the new drive? - and incidentally, what capacity was your old drive?

There may be better ways to solve the problem than a BIOS update - and there may or may not be an update for your particular m/board.

ventanas 11:25 02 Sep 05

For more info on the maximum fat32 size click here Altough it states Win2k, it also alpies to XP.

lambo7 13:26 02 Sep 05

my new drive is a maxtor 160gb and the old one is a Samsung 120gb.
I've formatted them both in NTFS.?

DieSse 13:36 02 Sep 05

There is a BIOS "barrier" at 130 something Gigabytes on older systems.

Have a read here click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1
and here They point you to answers to the problems you may be encountering.

DieSse 13:37 02 Sep 05

Sorry - second link here click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1

DieSse 13:40 02 Sep 05

Oh dear - difficult to use links agin - try click here and click here and the Maxtor FAQs in general here click here

pj123 13:47 02 Sep 05

Download Maxblast from: click here

Should sort it out for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…