Grpahics cards failure caused by game??

researcher 19:51 05 Oct 06

System: windows XP home, Athlon 64 3500 processor, twin nvidea 6600GTs in SLI mode. Evesham PC about 18 months old. I installed an additional fan a few months ago because the motherboard kept closing down Doom3 as it was overheating.

I use my PC among other things for DVD authoring and game playing. Last week whilst playing H'Life 2 Ch. 1 the pc froze. Escape, ctrl-alt-del did not work so I eventually pushed the off button.

Upon restarting got the blue screen saying windows had shut down to prevent serious damage, if this was the first time restart - so I did with the same result.

Tapping F8 on starting again got me into the safe mode screen - or not. All was garbled characters with nothing being decipherable! After trial and error I did manage to get into safe mode, (and tehn set it to always boot into that) but still had strange lines on the screen. When I tried typing the characters dissapeared. Oh and DVI output no longer worked, only analogue.

After a while on the help line Evesham were into re-installing windows - but the restor disk could not be read - garbled characters again. So, they sent an engineer. Two new graphics cards later and all is fine!

So my question is, can cards be damaged by high res games or DVD authoring? NB: no overheating problems, temps are now always below 50C.

ectfabs 19:59 05 Oct 06

Some times the on board memory on the boards go's bad through heat .I have found fans on graphics cards to be the most unreliable (next are chipset fans) I pays to keep an eye on them.

gudgulf 20:11 05 Oct 06

When the 6600GT first came out there were a number of posts on this forum with poor performance and overheating issues.

I suspect your cards were from that early production and susceptible to overheating leading to early failure.

Demanding games like Doom3 on high settings wont have killed the cards...merely pushed them hard enough to make the inherent problem manifest itself.It's also possible that the original case cooling was inadequate.

I doubt you will get the same problem with the latest version of the 6600GT fitted.

Obviously if you are still seeing lockup issues post back.

researcher 23:53 05 Oct 06

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll keep my fingers (mentally) crossed when I try HL2 again at the weekend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now