GROUNDING WIRE ON PSU

t.long 12:25 19 Nov 05

I am installing a new PSU in a computer, the PSU - Tagan - has a grounding wire, which the manual indicates should be attached to the motherboard via one of the screws that keep it in place. Have never come across this before, is it necessary/desirable/a good idea?

Any help much appreciated.

woodchip 12:27 19 Nov 05

It's to make sure that the motherboard as a good return path

DieSse 16:06 19 Nov 05

Desreable/good idea I would have said. It's for what woodchip indicated - to have a common ground between the motherboard and case/power supply.

Plywood 19:42 19 Nov 05

would also help eliminate any static build up ,which could kill your pc

Stuartli 20:08 19 Nov 05

Useful websites on such and many other matters:

click here

click here

click here

click here

t.long 16:29 20 Nov 05

Well all resolved now. I took advice from another forum to attach the wire to the case rather than the motherboard.

DieSse 17:33 20 Nov 05

"Well all resolved now. I took advice from another forum to attach the wire to the case rather than the motherboard."

If the PSU case is metal, and it's bolted into a metal case, with metal screws - attaching the wire to the case is a pointless exercise.

The correct way is as described by your PSU documentation.

sattman 18:27 20 Nov 05

It is not neccessary or recommended to fit a seperate earth connection if it was was not installed by the manufacurer. Earthing a system not designed to be at earth potential could be detrimental to your system.

A power supply with a spare earth is designed for a system that specifically requires it.

Any changes such as this should be referred to the computer manufacturer.

Kenneth-266656 18:35 20 Nov 05

Ground rule for most electronic (and electrical) equipment Earth at one point only. Multiple conections can lead to earth loops, the varying impedance of which can produce many problems.

DieSse 23:11 20 Nov 05

"Earthing a system not designed to be at earth potential could be detrimental to your system."

Whilst that is true - in a computer system the earth plane on the motherboard and the case, and the PSU are all supposed to be connectd together and be at ground, and earthed via the mains plug.

"Ground rule for most electronic (and electrical) equipment Earth at one point only"

Motherboards are expected to be earthed at multiple points. Each mounting point is connected through a metal stand-off to the case, the plug from the PSU to the motherboard also contains several earth wires, and there are earth links throughout the case, the plug-in boards, the drives etc. Multiple earth points are common and expected in very high frequency systems, in order to minimise (electrical) noise.

Kenneth-266656 17:25 21 Nov 05

I bow to greater knowledge. My field was in general electronics and industrial electrics not computers. Obviously any double insulated circuit requires no earthing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…