Groundhog day for me and my PC - HELP!

pc2mac 19:18 08 Nov 08

I have an ancient (6 year old) Gateway PC. It used to work fine, and I'm able to use it daily even now, but for some reason it has been unable to save anything. When I shut down and reboot, it is just like it was before I made changes/saved files. I'm using Avira (free) antivirus. I've done as many of the usual maintenance things I can think of. Here's an example of the problem...I'll download a software update for, say, iTunes or Java or even Windows, but when I shut down and reboot, each of those programs remain as they were and ask if I want to update them - all over again. I had a letter on Word that I saved (or so I though), but it didn't actually save the document. What is going on? Simple fix?

Technotiger 19:26 08 Nov 08

Just a guess - but how full is your hard drive - maybe not enough room to save anything!

pc2mac 20:16 08 Nov 08

No, that's not it. I have over 20 gigs free.

Technotiger 20:26 08 Nov 08

Maybe a glitch in the registry - run click here in its default settings, it might clear it.

pc2mac 03:30 10 Nov 08

Well, I installed and ran ccleaner you suggested, but it didn't take care of the problem. When I rebooted, ccleaner was no longer there. That's the problem I've been having... installed software goes away when I reboot. Nothing is being saved.

Terminus90 04:01 10 Nov 08

Do you have system restore turned off by any chance

pc2mac 04:20 10 Nov 08

No...the box to turn it off is unchecked. I don't use that utility anyway.

Technotiger 08:52 10 Nov 08

Hmm, in this instance then, why not give System Restore a try! If you can go back to a date (in bold print), before you noticed this happening.

ventanas 08:54 10 Nov 08

I'm wondering if it's connected with some corruption with your user profile. Or are you logging in as Guest?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…