groaning noise from pc

sunny staines 18:21 29 Mar 07

every now and then get a groaning noise from the pc, it lats about 10 seconds then goes.

I've had a thrasing hard drive before and its different to that. But how do i tell if its the HDD - FAN - POWER UNIT or even something else I have no spares to replace each item.

any advice or tips gladly welcom.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 29 Mar 07

Any particular time / event when it starts to groan?
I.E> running an intensive program / defragging /during a scheduled virus or spyware scan?

sunny staines 18:42 29 Mar 07

fruitbat

pc runs 24 hour, used mainly for internet. noise happens about every hour or so.

Technotiger 19:02 29 Mar 07

Hi, I think the most likely explanation is your HDD on its way out. Or second, fan bearings getting tired. Third, suspect PSU, but if it was PSU I would expect other symptoms in addition to the noise.

Technotiger 19:05 29 Mar 07

Also, might even just be build-up of dust/fluff on fans - check all fans, PSU, cooling fans on case or on internal cards.

sunny staines 19:07 29 Mar 07

technotiger

what other symptoms would the PSU show if it was the suspect.

i would get the side off, and try to find where the sound is coming from. when my old psu was struggling it used to crash and reboot under load, ie games

sunny staines 20:28 29 Mar 07

adaman

that was my plan for the weekend if still working.

Technotiger 20:59 29 Mar 07

Sorry been busy .. other syptoms from possible faulty PSU - trouble starting pc, crashing and/or problems with other peripherals needing power.

keef66 10:30 30 Mar 07

when mine did that I first thought it was the cpu fan so I replaced it, only to find the noise still there. Then traced it to the tiny fan on the graphics card. How such an insignificant component could make such a racket is still a mystery to me. For a while I got by using periodic lubrication with sewing machine oil which silenced it for 2-3 weeks at a time, but in the end I used the noise as an excuse to replace the graphics card completely.

You damn fool 12:18 30 Mar 07

It could be a wee little man in there powering the comp by running around in a little hamster wheel thing. I suspect his groaning is when he's knackered and needs a break.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…