Gripe about PC Advisor website!

br1anstorm 19:15 29 Mar 14

I know it's not kind to bite the hand that feeds you, and I need to start by saying that I value the information I get from the PC Advisor site and especially the forums, where some very helpful people lurk and respond.

That's the polite bit. But I want to ask - does anyone else get a headache like I do when using the site ....because of the number of scripts built into the web-pages?

I browse with Firefox and run NoScript as an extra security precaution. NoScript does what it says: blocks scripts until you "allow" them. In NoScript it is possible to "allow" entire websites (a whitelist). But I give very few sites that much freedom. Usually I just unblock scripts as and when I land on specific websites or pages. In most websites this usually involves a couple of scripts, and so a couple of clicks. Maybe 4 or 5 at most. But the PC Advisor site seems absolutely packed with scripts. Today when I opened the first page, I had to unblock no less than 38....

This gets a bit tedious. I just wonder why a site that is presumably designed to be easily accessible and safe has to run so many scripts. Is so much tracking, and advertising, a necessary inconvenience?

rdave13 20:11 29 Mar 14

Simple answer, I guess, is yes to your last question. I don't use NoScript so don't get the problem. As a matter of fact I don't use an ad blocker in IE at all. I use Spywareblaster and this site runs very well in IE with it. I do admit to running Ad blocker in Firefox, though, simply to get the pages to load faster.

Maybe time to reconsider if you need NoScript or find an alternative?

Mr Mistoffelees 20:42 29 Mar 14

"Is so much tracking, and advertising, a necessary inconvenience?"

If you don't want to have to pay to use the site, the answer is yes.

br1anstorm 21:31 29 Mar 14

Thanks, guys. As you have noted, my final question indicated that I was pretty sure I knew the explanation already. If minor inconveneience is the price of free access to the site, then so be it!

rdave13 21:40 29 Mar 14

br1anstorm, and I suggested to get rid of NoScript. That program would not be a minor inconvenience to me.

spuds 10:07 30 Mar 14

With the sensible use of ad-blockers, then this website can and will work fairly well!.

Forum Editor 14:02 30 Mar 14

MechKB

"I wondered when this old chestnut would be wheeled out."

And I wondered when you, in your new persona, would wheel out your characteristic negative response. Frankly I wonder why, if you can't abide us, you bother to register a new identity and continue to login.

mart7 14:34 30 Mar 14

Aha i had thought mechkb was a previous forum member

bumpkin 18:57 30 Mar 14

Gandalf maybe

bumpkin 19:21 30 Mar 14

Or "Jake the peg"

mart7 20:27 30 Mar 14

I think its someone who was fairly recently banned BUMPKIN i darenot put the name on here FE may not want it known and of course i could be wrong sometime about 3-4 months ago

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…