Grinding sound on start-up !

fazer 15:08 22 Sep 05

Here's a question ..... !

The last couple weeks when starting up my computer and for the first 30 seconds or so until the welcome screen appears, I can hear a grinding sound coming from my computer. Everything appears fully functional when this sound stops and no manner of tapping or tilting the computer case makes any difference to the sound.

My question(s) is therefore what actually moves in the computer when you initialy switch it on and should I be worried?

The comouter is only 2 years old (E-machine - XP).

Thanks in anticipation.

Taff36 15:20 22 Sep 05

Take the side off the case and listen carefully. It`s either a fan sticking until the bearing gets lubricated or it`s the hard disc. The former is easily solved the latter needs urgent, and I mean urgent attention.

fazer 11:56 23 Sep 05

Taff36

Thank you for the quick response.

You've got me worried now.

So what could the problem be with the hard drive and does it need professional attention (meaning, as a novice, have I a fighting chance of fixing it?).

DieSse 12:39 23 Sep 05

Bad fans are more likely. Start the system with the case off, as suggested, and you can usually stop each fan in turn , briefly, to find which is making the noise - or you may even see it going slow. Watch out for your fingers!!

Don't forget fan on the graphics card!

DieSse 12:41 23 Sep 05

If t is the hard drive, it will need replacing - there is nothing to fix in them - as I said it's less likely than a fan - but by no means impossible.

fazer 14:08 23 Sep 05

Thank you all. I'll do as you suggest. Wish me luck !

Terry Brown 15:07 23 Sep 05

Thee is also the possibility that the Floppy drive is trying to open a disk.Try putting a disk in the drive then starting up. It will most proberly tell you to put a system disk in, but if the noise stops,that is the cause; then open the BIOS and change the boot order so that it starts with Hard drive and replace the floppy drive

Taff36 05:17 24 Sep 05

So which one was it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…